Monday, May 06, 2002

Things Which Kill Productivity:

- IRC.

- Social clubs such as UniSFA.

- Blogs. (Your own and other people's.)

Also, the helicopter game. On the other hand my high score's up to about 1800. (Yes, I know I still suck, but hey, at least I've reached the Industrial Revolution.)

Some interesting conversations on IRC. One fed more material for the excessively Fangirl Goes Academia essay I'm eventually going to write about the characterisation of Seven of Nine in canon and in fanfic, the other got onto the topic of slash, particularly NC-17 slash. And why I don't like it.

<sonnlich> A lot of it is written using words I dislike and don't find even vaguely romantic. And a lot of fic sex is so sameish it's annoying. And it's just... eh. Not my thing.

Of course, I'll read a good story that has sex scenes in it, just like I'll watch a good movie that has sex scenes in it even though I don't like movie sex scenes either. (But I'm a sucker for a good, romantic/dramatically perfect kiss.) But somehow there's something unpleasantly voyeuristic, for me, in reading graphic sex scenes about characters. Or maybe it's just my "everything is about me" mindset - I wouldn't want anyone contemplating *my* sex life in that kind of detail, after all.

And yet I still think Jane St Clair is wonderful...