Tuesday, May 07, 2002

I've decided I need more Kylie Minogue in my life.

Whether this revelation heralds my incipient realisation that I'll have to kill myself as well I haven't decided yet.

I've been reading a little about the death of Pim Fortuyn. He seems to be a very Pauline figure, but more effective; he and his personality were the focus of his party, much like 'Pauline Hanson's One Nation' if only she had personality. I have to say I never trust a political party that's constructed around the cult of a single person - as has been most notable in the governments surrounding Hitler and Stalin, which should tell you something. Demagogues aren't a good thing, as a rule.

His death, it seems, comes as something as nasty shock for the Netherlands, whose politics are apparently pretty calm, as a rule. Fortuyn changed that somewhat - and his death, the pundits say, will change Dutch politics.

The party, List Pim Fortuyn, has a doubtful future at this point, since it was built around Pim Fortuyn. The likeliest candidate to take over is Joao Valera, an immigrante from the Cape Verde islands.

Which seems a little odd for a party whose primary stance is anti-immigration.

It's all very non-traditional rightist, though. He was openly gay, and deliberately camp, and so he didn't appeal to classic conservatives but did get some support from the extreme-right skinheads. And he wasn't as bullishly evil as most... Including such as Jean-Marie le Pen, and he's still alive.

He shouldn't have died. If I was Dutch, I wouldn't have voted for him, but he still shouldn't have died.

Now Playing: Wagner - The Entry of the Gods into Valhalla